Monday, 11 September 2017

11 September

PORTLOE - MEVAGISSEY

Our last day of our Cornwall walk from St Ives to Mevagissey. Sadly I'm not doing it  as my good knee is very troublesome and I want to be able to play golf when I get home!?!?
I'm basking in the sun writing this at our Mevagissey Bay Hotel accommodation on our deck. Having to be mindful of the showers of rain that surprise me at times!
Waiting for a taxi to take me to The Lost Gardens of Heligan which is apparently a 10 minute ride. 
I farewelled the walkers as they climbed a steep hill overlooking Portloe then waited for my taxi at 1115 to take me on a 40 minute journey the scenic way to Mevagissey. Dave (my cabbie) was delightful and very informative telling me areas my walking party will be seeing. 
The Lost Gardens of Heligen was amazing. It is Europe's largest garden restoration of over 200 acres. It was lost because all the gardeners of the estate were sent off to war and were all killed so the estate was left and became overgrown until 25 years ago, when by chance a door was discovered in the ruins that led to the restoration of this once great estate, the finest gardens in Cornwall. I walked through the "Jungle" on raised platforms through exotic plantings and over the "Burma Rope Bridge" then into the native woodland in the "Lost Valley". The garden area was amazing with an area called "the kitchen garden" where there were heritage fruit, vegetables and herbs. The Italian garden was interesting. Produce from these gardens are used in the food centres within the estate. Heligan's farm animals are rare with heritage breeds of sheep, pigs, poultry and cattle. It was well worth a visit and after 3 hours of wondering around I took a taxi back to our hotel thinking I'd go and meet the walkers, to find they were already in the pub!!!
The walkers started on the Coastal path then deviated off through farm land on their way to Mevagissey. The first 5kms were done on the path which was quite slippery and difficult passing through Portholland where the coffee shop was closed on Mondays -sadly. After 5.5kms they reached Caerthays Castle and quickly dashed to the beachside cafe to escape the rain. Coffees and cakes all round then they winged it through fields and narrow tracks via Gorran toward our destination. A lot more wildlife was spotted on this trek including a nide of pheasants and droves of pigs. At the last field before entering the township they had to climb through a fence into someone's backyard to reach the track taking them to town as they took the wrong turn! A pint at The Rising Sun then onto the hotel to drop off back packs then down town for a drink at the Ship Inn where I met up with them.
Cleaning of muddy boots took place before a rest and spruce up for our last night. Champers for the girls and beers for the boys in the lounge with stunning views and a lovely "thank you" to Michael from Cherry on behalf of us all, for all his hard work in organising this great adventure. 
A 800 metre walk down to the village for dinner at The Fountain Inn. It was a strange feeling having the walk behind us and knowing we didn't have to don on our gear the next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment